Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Second Recipe With The Pork Shoulder - 2 Reviews - Yuck & Fine

I said Yuck and UD said fine.  More tomorrow!  Yuck!!!

Let me tell you about our dinner last night.  Early in the day I started with the coleslaw, because I have heard that it is best to let it chill in the fridge for a minimum of two hours, but best if overnight.  I followed Big Daddy's recipe and tasted it when the dressing was on.  Ugh.  It was very tart and I didn't care for it at all.  I had UD taste it and he said "Eh".  I had used half a head of purple and a half head of white cabbage and considered throwing the first batch out.  But UD is sometimes not as discriminating as I, and asked me to save it and he would eat it bit by bit.  Any who, I started looking up other recipes on the Internet and found a common denominator to the coleslaw that got the highest reviews.  They had sugar in them.  So I decided to experiment with BD's recipe.  I simply added a 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, and Voila!  It was delicious.  So thanks to UD's lack of discrimination we had a wonderful coleslaw at dinner.


There were a couple of amounts I changed in BD's recipe also.  His recipe had one cup of each type of cabbage.  I had a half head of each cabbage.  Much more than 2 cups worth.  And his used all the dressing, and I used only half.  The reason I used half is because I remember Paula Deen saying that while the coleslaw sits, it lets out more moisture.  So when it comes to dressing, less is more.

Here is the recipe with the amounts I used and some descriptive pictures.

Dressing:
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 tablespoons apple cider
1 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Slaw:
Half a head of shredded purple cabbage
Half a head of shredded white cabbage
6 scallions, chopped

Whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce and sugar.  Season with salt and pepper.



Add the shredded cabbage and scallions to the dressing, and toss well.  The food processor made quick work of the shredding, but it could easily be done by hand.

 


Refrigerate overnight if possible, 2 hours minimum.  And the end result, for us, was delicious!


Now for the YUCK/FINE part of the dinner.  The pulled pork sandwiches.  Below is a picture of the ingredients. 


When I first tasted that sandwich I was horrified.  First of all that Kraft Thick and Spicy sauce was not very tasty at all.  And secondly, I could taste that bourbon more than any other ingredient.  It was awful.   I thought simmering the sauce would cook out the alcohol, but no way.  Now I am no wilting lily (shrinking violet's close cousin).  I enjoy an adult beverage.  But in a glass, thank you very much, not in my sandwich.  As a result, no recipe, no pictures, no nothing.  We will just let bygones be bygones with Big Daddy's Pulled Pork Sandwich.

Before I started all the preparations for that disaster of a meal, we went shopping for breakfast and dinner the next day.  UD usually has a bowl of cereal for breakfast and I have an egg white omelet and toast.  But UD had a hankering for a big breakfast, and said "Let's leave the healthy out of this meal".   Okay to the big, but we will try to keep it a little less unhealthy if we can.

When we first got to the store I noticed these wonderful looking green beans and had to have them.  They are so good roasted, and I am sure we will get to them in a couple of days.  SIDE NOTE:  UD informed me that the grocery manager was eyeing me with daggers while I was clicking away with my camera.  Apparently he realized UD was with me and asked him what was going on. He explained I was taking pictures for my blog and some of it involved cooking and shopping.  I asked UD if he asked for the blog site, but for some reason he did not.  What a loss on his part, nes cafe?


Off to get some bacon.  We have switched to turkey bacon and like it very much.  I have tried both Oscar Meyer and the Hannaford brand.  We like the Oscar Meyer better, because it is actually less fatty than the Hannaford brand.

So Oscar it is!





Then UD picked out some ribs for dinner.  I am going to make the ribs I saw on the blog Barefoot Boston.  They really looked good, and it is a very different technique which made me want to try it.  If you would like to see the recipe you can find it on the very fine blog called http://www.barefootboston.blogspot.com/.  I think you will enjoy your visit there.


While were were there I picked up some Smart Balance.  My wonderful friend Darling turned me on to this.  It is delicious and so good for you.  Sorry UD.  I get the one with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). 

Here is Darling.  She is on the right. You will probably be hearing a lot about her and her wonderful family.


When she tells me "BU", I listen.

These are her children.  J, M and C.  Or W as I call her.  They are actually half mine.  Their father J doesn't know, so mums the word.


Back to shopping, shall we?


Now we are at UD's favorite part.  The Tater Tots.  And the kids are coming to the Rocky Coast next weekend, so we will splurge with them also.  We all like to indulge in a good Tater T once in a while.  Oh the kids.  You haven't been introduced.  How rude of me.  Here they are.


D and R.  They are such beautiful, lovely ladies, nes cafe?

And we must not forget the lovely boyfriend either!  Good ol' A.


Oh, the proud Papa.  How could I forget UD?


Back to the shopping trip.  Please!  All this because of Tater Tots.  Whew!

We couldn't decide if we wanted turkey bacon or turkey sausage.  So what the heck?  We got both.  The Banquet turkey sausage are very good.  I really can't tell the difference between these and the pork.  Worth the swap.



While we were there, I checked the frozen pizza.  I had read in the Rachael Ray magazine (which I love - the magazine - not so much her show on the Food Network), that the Freschetta Thin Crust was the best of the bunch.  And we all need a quick and easy lunch now and then.  Don't you agree?


I will let you know what I think of it in a future post.

A bientot!  See you soon.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I love seeing and hearing the grocery store decisions, and I can't help but feel I had something to do with that! :) Also, I'm glad you were able to salvage the cole slaw through a little culinary investigation. I love the photo tour of family and friends. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely had everything to do with it. We are going to take the photo taking outside of BBH though. We don't want to offend anyone that might think I am a secret shopper or something. Thanks for the great idea. I will be doing more with it.

    ReplyDelete