Tuesday, April 12, 2011

P's Better Than Sex Brownies

I have a wonderful friend P.  She is a terrific person and loves to cook and entertain for her family and friends.  We have often shared recipes and ideas for entertaining.  We worked together, so now that I have retired and moved to the Rocky Coast we don't get to share as much time and ideas with each other.  I think of her often and recently I made some brownies that she gave me the recipe for.  A couple of things.  The kids are coming up this weekend, and I have decided to do a special dessert each time they come up.  The reason is that they lost one of their grandmothers 2 and a half years ago, and she always had sweets for them when they visited.  I can't compare to Grams cooking and baking, so I am just going to try my own.  So far so good.  I am not a big sweet eater and I am not good at baking.  But they are my motivation.  So there you go. 


You start out by making your favorite boxed brownie mix.  She used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate.  I couldn't find that, so I used just plain Ghirardelli.  Then you top it with the first layer of sugary goodness.  Also, I remember Giada saying that if you use parchment paper to line the brownie pan you can lift the brownie "loaf" out without a problem.  And it makes it so much easier to cut.  So you place a long strip in one direction and then top it with another strip in the other direction.  I sprayed the outer most parchment paper with PAM spray and it worked beautifully.


Then you top it with a second layer of chocolaty goodness.





And you end up with a little bit of heaven.  This was my practice batch and I think I will have to share some with the neighbors.  But I think the kids will like them.  UD and I certainly did.  Very rich and delicious.  By the way, the heart shaped dish they are in is from a set of dessert plates that the same friend P gave to me many years ago.  Beautiful, nes cafe?

Here is the recipe:

Bake 1 pkg Brownie Mix and cool for at least an hour

First topping:  1/2 cup softened butter - 2 cups confectioner's sugar - 1 tsp vanilla extract - 2 tbsp milk.

Cream butter, add sugar, vanilla and milk.  Beat until smooth.  Spread over cooled brownie layer.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Second topping:   6 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips - 4 tablespoons butter

Melt chocolate chips and butter, then cool until spreading consistency.  Spread over first chilled topping.

Refrigerate until chocolate topping hardens - Cut into bars and enjoy.

The brownie bars should be kept refrigerated and they freeze very well.  Enjoy!

A bientot!   See you soon.


3 comments:

  1. Those brownies sound delicious. I think T and J would love them. I'll plan to give them a try one day soon. Thanks for the recipe M and P!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ellen, the difference is that instead of me making them, I will ask you to make them next time we have a special day. Wack will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely do that Darling!

    ReplyDelete