Saturday, April 30, 2011

Chateaubriand, Salad and Sweet Brussel Sprouts With Mushrooms

Our dinner last night was a variation of one we usually have every couple of weeks.  We are big fans of filet mignon and have found that you can buy a whole tenderloin at the big box clubs, and bring it home to cut up yourself.  UD and I watched a Food Network show done by Alton Brown that addressed the proper way to trim and cut a whole tenderloin.  And we have been doing it that way for the last 5 or 6 years.


I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer that I absolutely love, and we use it for the cut up tenderloin.  I actually use it quite a bit.  If different meats (chicken tenderloins, pork tenderloin, ground beef, etc.) are on sale, I will buy a few packages and then repackage in smaller batches in the vacuum sealed bags.  They last at least 3 times longer in the freezer.



UD and I both love brussel sprouts, and I have tried them many ways.  This is a variation of one that I saw on the Paula Deen show.  This variation doesn't include the bacon and tons of butter that she used.  But it is still delicious!


You will need a couple of dozen brussel sprouts cut in half
6-8 oz button or cremini muchrooms, sliced
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 tablespoons of sugar (a little less is OK too)
2 cups of chicken stock
EVOO and 1 tablespoon of butter
Kosher salt
 

Brown the sliced mushrooms in a separate pan with a small amount of  EVOO and butter.


Saute the smashed garlic in 2 tablespoons of EVOO and 1 tablespoon of butter, until the garlic is a beautiful golden color.  Remove the garlic from the pan. They have infused their flavor into the oils of the pan, hence performing their garlic duties. 


Place the halved brussel sprouts in the garlic infused oil/butter cut side down.  Cook 2-3 minutes until browned.  Turn over, add sugar, chicken stock and salt.  Saute until liquid is almost evaporated and brussels are softening.


Add the browned mushrooms, toss everything together and voila, deliciousness.

UD did the Chateaubriand on the ol' Weber grill as usual.  Depending on the thickness, cook over high heat anywhere from 6-9 minutes per side.  This was 6 minutes per side and the steak was probably 2 inches thick.



We added a salad to the steak and brussel sprouts, and had a lovely meal.  I didn't take photos of the brussel sprouts in their serving dish, or the salad, because we were so hungry we just wanted to dig in.  Des moines?

A bientot!  See you soon.

4 comments:

  1. I am very interested in the fact that you buy and cut up and seal the filet mignon, but I expect nothing less from you, NSHHTU. I would love it if the next time our group comes to the Rocky Coast you gave us a lesson/demonstration of how you approach a typical meal. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow actually it looks delicious! I do have a vacuum sealer but haven't use it yet. Maybe I should try tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you do! Once you use it a couple of times, it doesn't seem like a big deal anymore. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm using Nesco VS-02 Vacuum Sealer to make salad in jar and for steak. I didn't believe that a product at the low price can help me a lot when keep food fresh, but I got a mistake. Now I totally trust the quality of this machine.

    ReplyDelete