Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ideas From The Food Network

Saturday I was watching the food network. There is one show called "Big Daddy's House". He likes big bold flavors and he often does unusual dishes. And they always look delicious. Well he cooked a pork shoulder and then used it for four different dishes. Two of which I am planning to do. However, trying to find a pork shoulder on The Rocky Coast proved to be a problem. I went to Shaws and Hannaford and they both had pork shoulder that was smoked. Not what Big Daddy wanted for me. So on the way home from doing errands, we stopped at Provisions, right here in town. It is a small family owned store with specialty items. He purchases his meats from Curtis Custom Meats, which has a wonderful reputation. So I went in and ordered a 4 lb. pork shoulder, not smoked, and it will be here Tuesday. Then comes the fun. I will cook that and then the first dish I will make is Pork and Pappardelle Pasta and the second will be UD's favorite, Pulled Pork Sandwiches.

(Note:  I watched the pork shoulder episode again, and he actually used bone-in pork shoulder.  The recipe doesn't say that, but I think it would be even better with that, rather than boneless like I used.)

So we got the roast Tuesday evening and I am going to cook it tomorrow as the start to two delicious meals.

First we start with the pork shoulder.  This is placed in a roasting pan on a rack.  Then you mix 3 tablespoons of chopped garlic, 3 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil and salt and pepper.

 

Then smear this mixture all over the pork shoulder.



Place it in a preheated 425 degree oven for twenty minutes.  Without removing the roast, turn the temperature down to 325 degrees and roast for an additional 4 hours.  It will come out with a crispy outside and tender inside.  You will be able to pull it apart without using a knife.


Okay, so unfortunately neither of us were hungry for a big dinner, so we had a cup of chicken soup each and called it a night.  This roast is going into the fridge once it is cooled, and we will start fresh tomorrow with Pork and Pappardelle Pasta.  My mouth is watering already.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I think Big Daddy would be proud of you. Despite the hardship of no pork shoulder on the Rocky Coast, you pushed on, and found one. I wish I could show up at your house for Pork and Pappardelle Pasta, because that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete