Thursday, September 1, 2011

Luscious Corn Goodness

UD and I eat a lot of corn-on-the-cob during the summer.  And we always wish it were here year round.  But alas, mother nature has other plans.  So I am going to do something about that.  I am going to freeze some fresh corn and have it off-the-cob all winter long. 

The two main ingredients are corn-on-the-cob and salt.


Shuck the corn and set it aside.


Get a large pot of water boiling, and add lots of salt.


Put the corn in and bring it to a second boil.  Let it boil for 2 minutes.


Take it out, and let it cool.  Repeat as needed, depending on the amount of corn you have.


Start with a large and a small bowl to avoid run away kernels while scraping the cob.


Invert the small bowl into the larger bowl.


Place the cob on the bottom side of the small bowl. 

Side note:  Let's give a hand to our always willing hand model, UD!


Take a sharp paring knife and place it at the top of the cob.


Scrap in a downward motion.


And let the bowl trap all that luscious corn goodness.



As the bowl fills, transfer the kernels into another bowl and keep on going until every cob has been dealt with.


I used a measuring cup to transfer the corn into zip bags.  Then I added 1 teaspoon of water to each bag.  Make sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible, and zip 'er up!


From 18 ears of corn, I yielded 12 cups of corn kernels.  Not a bad ratio in my estimation.


So now I can rest easy and know that anytime I need a taste of August, it is ready and waiting for me.


A bientot!  See you soon.



2 comments:

  1. Sister, I think your day without electricity has woken up the pioneer roots deep inside you. I have been wondering whether I could freeze some vegetables from the farmers' market in order to avoid having to buy them in plastic over the winter, so your post came at a great time for me! Do you think I could do the same thing with broccoli? I actually put two of my tomatoes, whole and without bag or wrapping of any kind, in the freezer for a week or so because they were on the verge of going bad. It kept them in good shape and I put them in my tomato sauce later. I have no problem buying tomato sauce in the winter, but I'd like to avoid buying broccoli and spinach in plastic bags. Should I boil them briefly like you did with the corn? Thanks for your timely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can freeze broccoli and spinach. You can do same thing I did with the corn. Two minutes in salted boiling water. The difference between corn and green veggies is that you have to put green veggies into an ice bath after blanching it. That will stop the cooking and keep it a nice green color. Just make sure to salt the ice bath also. Otherwise you will just rinse off the salt from the blanching water. And take it out of the ice bath after about 1 minute, and dry on a clean dish towel. The broccoli can be dried by blotting with paper towels, but the spinach needs some extra attention. If you wrap it in a dish towel and swing it around your head, you will spin the water out. That might be a fun thing for T and J to help with. Then you can freeze it in tin foil. Just be sure to seal it well so it won't get freezer burn. Good luck Sister!

    ReplyDelete