Monday, September 12, 2011

Bready Should Be A Word.

Because of these two products, I decided to make a sweet and savory chicken salad.  This dressing, Newman's Own Light Raspberry & Walnut, is sensational.  We are using it almost exclusively right now.  UD occasionally veers back to Blue Cheese, and I sometimes return to a delicious French Catalina dressing.  But not very often, I assure you.  The glazed pecans add a fantastic crunch and sweetness to a crisp romaine or red lettuce salad.  But now on to the chicken salad.


I marinated 3 half chicken breasts in the light raspberry dressing for 2 hours.  UD grilled it to perfection as usual.  But for a shortcut, you could always get a roasted rotisserie chicken at the supermarket.  Especially if you like some dark chicken meat in your chicken salad.

The other things you will need are:

Mayo, or my marvelous mayo mixture demonstrated here.
Celery
Red onion
Fresh chives
A couple of palm fulls of glazed pecans
Heavy sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
Kosher salt

No pepper here people.  I know, SHOCKING.  UD and I are such fans of freshly ground black pepper, it almost seems impossible that I am not using it.  There are just a few things that I think are better without pepper.  This is one of them, because it is sweet.  Another is red sauce.  More about that another time.


Chop the chicken, celery, onion and pecans into small pieces.  The size you want is really your decision.  Remember, you are the cook.  What you say goes!  Power to the preparer!!!


Use a heavy hand when you add the toasted sesame seeds and also add some fresh chopped chives.  We are here to brighten out lives, after all.  And fresh Herbs do just that.  Nes cafe?


Mix all these ingredients together, before you add the marvelous mayo mixture.


 Then add 3 or 4 small dollops.


Mix together well.


I try to make it the day before I am going to use it.  The flavors marry together and it is just that much tastier.  So I transfer to another bowl and refrigerate until tomorrow.


Yay!  Tomorrow is here.  Time to make the donuts, I mean sandwiches!  I love to use a baguette for hearty sandwiches.  Or as we called it when I was a kid, French bread.  It is delicious, but rather bready.  I scoop out some of the inside, so most of what you have is just the crunchy crust. 


Add a leaf of romaine lettuce and lots of chicken salad.  Garnish with tasty corn or potato chips and you will have a nice crunchy delicious lunch.



I wrote this post on 9/11/11.  The tenth anniversary of the travesty that our country endured.  I have a lot of feelings and thoughts about it, but in a timely post today, Sister E spoke seemed to speak for me.  Thank you Sister.  You said it beautifully.



A bientot!  See you soon.


1 comment:

  1. Sister, the shock of the black pepper issue is a lot to lay on your readers first thing on a Monday morning. Aside from that, I was laughing throughout your post. Laughing, and learning how to make chicken salad, that is. Thanks for the good post and the nice compliment!

    ReplyDelete