Monday, September 5, 2011

Sweet Potato Redemption

Back in July I was preparing a dinner that included three side dishes.  Two were bien, and the other was deplaisant.  That side dish was sweet potato fries, and I will tell you right now... I refuse to let them get the best of me.

So I am back for round two.  I know the problem was that I burnt them because I was just not paying attention.  But for round two, I wanted to try out other ways to do sweet potato fries.  This one caught my eye.

All you need is:
2 Sweet potatoes
Kosher salt
Sugar (the recipe calls for 1-2 tablespoons, but I only used two potatoes, so I used about 2 teaspoons)
Paprika (or other suggestions listed in the recipe)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil


Peel the potatoes and cut them in half length-wise.  Then slice into 1/2 inch thick half moons.  I like this method so much better than making them into long thin traditional french fry shape.  You are more apt to get a consistent size all around, which means they will all cook evenly.


Add EVOO to lightly coat, and then season with salt.


Add the sugar and paprika.  Just sprinkle the paprika until the wedges are lightly coated.  Toss everything together.


Lay the potatoes out on a foil lined sheet pan.  Spray the foil with PAM to avoid sticking.


Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.  Always be sure to preheat your oven.  After 15 minutes, flip the fries and continue cooking another 10-15 minutes.


Then serve and enjoy.  These truly were addictive.


Redemption at last!


A bientot!  See you soon.



1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Sister, for not letting the sweet potatoes get the best of you! It can be very satisfying to regroup, figure out a new strategy, and achieve success. These SPFs look great! Thanks for sharing your failures and successes with us, your eager readers.

    ReplyDelete