Saturday, September 24, 2011

So Pretty, So Delicious

Last night I made pot roast for dinner, with mashed potato and these beautiful Rainbow Crunch Carrots.  Have you have heard the saying that we eat with our eyes first?  It is so very true.  The prettier the ingredients, the tastier the meal.  And you can't get much prettier than these. 


Since roasting is my favorite way to prepare vegetables, and since the oven was already on, I decided to go for it.  Once I removed the pot roast, I increased the oven to 450 degrees.  Then I liberally coated the carrots with extra virgin olive oil, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.


These were fairly small carrots, so I put them in the oven for about 12 minutes, took them out and gave them a toss with a spatula.  They still felt fairly hard, so I put them in for another 8.  When I brought them out again, I tried one and it was just starting to soften. And that is the texture that UD and I like.  If you like them a little softer, roast for 5 more minutes and then give them a try.


Put them on one of your favorite serving dishes, and voila.  So pretty, so delicious.  And as Julia Child once said, "You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients".




A bientot!  See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sister, these are very pretty, and I wonder if you would consider growing them next year. You had mentioned possibly trying some vegetables, and you've had such success with your Herbs. It would be a fun surprise to pick colorful carrots, and since you like them, you might be more excited to grow these than, say, tomatoes. Just a thought from a small city in Eastern Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete