Saturday, July 16, 2011

Nice and Easy

Leftovers really make us happy.  Not only is it an easy assembly and therefore a quick meal, but we feel so good not wasting anything.  And if you enjoyed it the first time, the second time around is bound to be just as good, if not better.

A couple of nights ago we tried hanger steak for the first time.  I have often heard it referred to as butcher's steak, because years ago the butchers kept it for themselves.  They realized the flavor value, and since it didn't look like a hearty and significant piece of meat, people would be less apt to buy it.

Our original meal was very simple.  Just a salad topped with grilled steak.  I marinaded the steak in the following, for about 4 hours.  Two would be fine, but what's a couple of extra hours amongst friends?

  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I am in love with the Irish Stout Mustard, of the seemingly ever present potato salad, so I used that instead of Dijon)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (Happily from my Herb garden)
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup dark lager beer (I didn't want to go out, so I used Miller Lite, because it was available)
  • 2 pounds trimmed hanger or hanging steaks
It was a delicious marinade and the hanger steak was cooked perfectly, on the grill.

Since then we have had a couple of busy days, so I decided to use the leftovers and make ourselves a couple of wraps.  Nice and easy.

All I had to get was the wrap.  These are nice big whole grain wraps.


I sliced the meat into less than bite size pieces.  It makes me mental, I must say, when you take a bite out of a sandwich and half of it is in your mouth and half needs to stay in the sandwich, but doesn't.  Yuck!  Phooey!


This part is just in case you haven't wrapped a sandwich before.  Your best bet is to place the main ingredient to the upper right part of the wrap. Then you will have a flap on the bottom to hold all the ingredients in.


 Place the accoutrement on top.  In this case, left over salad.


Drizzle the residual juice over everything.


 I had my handy model, UD, demonstrate where to flip the flap!


Roll from right to left, somewhat firmly, and you will have a perfect wrap that holds everything.


Not a great picture, but you get the picture.  You get a little bit of everything, in every bite.


As a flavor boost, we drizzle a little of Newman's Own Light Raspberry & Walnut dressing, every few bites.  What a great combo with the steak and salad.


And how nice that all the profits go to charity!


A bientot!  See you soon.



2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to learn how to make a wrap sandwich. Whenever I have these, I love them, but I didn't think I'd be able to make them as delicious as the ones I've had. Thanks to your nicely broken down instructions and photos, I can see that it shouldn't be hard at all! And I like that it's a good use of leftovers, because that makes it even easier. Has UD considered hand modeling? Because I think he has a future there. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete