Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Native Corn Is Here!

I was so excited when I got to Brown's Farm Stand the other day.  As I walked in, there, front and center, was a big wooden box, full of beautiful native corn.  I bought six ears and brought them into the house with a big smile on my face.  UD asked what I was so happy about, and I replied, "The native corn is here!".  I believe that spoke volumes.

That evening I just did the usual boil for 5 minutes and we had it with some leftovers.  However, I had forgotten that the first week or two of native corn is very, very tender.  I should have done 3 minutes and pulled them out of the water immediately.  But it was still delicious and we each had 3 ears.

Then I remembered that we had done some corn with a compound Herb butter, in tin foil, on the grill.  I had mentioned that next time we would grill it without the tin foil. So that is my plan for tonight.  I was out of the original Herb butter, so I decided to make some more, and be a little more explicit with the "how to".

I always use unsalted butter, and generally I get the Cabot brand, which is made in Vermont.  But they only had the salted version available, so I chose this as an alternative.  It is Kate's butter, and it is made right here on the Rocky Coast.  So I am using this for the compound Herb butter, and I will let you know what we think of it when we do our next version of grilled corn.

I took a stick of butter out and let it get to room temperature.  Then I cut some chives and parsley from my Herb garden.  I decided to go with just these two Herbs, to achieve a lighter flavor than the previous one I made.  I think it will go well with the fresh native corn, and the beef tenderloin we will have tonight.


I cut the butter into 4 or 5 large chunks, and put it in a small bow.  Then I finely chopped the chives and parsley.


I added the chopped Herbs over the butter.


And mixed them all up together.


Now for the wrap and roll.  Place some plastic wrap or parchment paper on a flat surface.  Then place the butter mixture in the center, towards the bottom.


Start to roll the plastic over the mixture from the bottom up.


Once the butter mixture is covered with just a single layer of the plastic, roll it in the remainder of the plastic, in a slightly tighter fashion.


Once you have it completely rolled up, grasp it firmly in both hands, and sort of twist it inward from the two edges.  The butter mixture will form a beautiful roll, and you can place it in the fridge until you are ready to unwrap and roll.




A bientot!  See you soon.



2 comments:

  1. Your herb butter sounds fantastic! I'm guessing it would keep for quite a while in the fridge, just like regular butter, right? That could be nice to have around to use for a lot of different things -- corn, mashed potatoes, rice, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would be great with all those things. And you could use parchment or wax paper instead of plastic.

    ReplyDelete