Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Best Barbecue Sauce

I recently saw an episode of The Barefoot Contessa with Ina Garten on the Food Network.  On it, she had a guest named Joseph Realmuto, a very famous chef.  He was showing Ina a barbecue sauce recipe that she absolutely raved about.  It is called Townline BBQ Sauce.  Considering the fact that my ego was still smarting from my original attempt at Pulled Pork Sandwiches (see Yuck and Fine), I decided it was time to get back up on the horse and give it another try.

I cut the ingredients from the recipe in half, because I didn't think I would go through 4 quarts of sauce with just the two of us.  After tasting it, I wish I had done all 4 quarts.  It was that good. 

I started with sauteing the onion and garlic.  Always put the onion in before the garlic, because the garlic will cook faster and you don't want it to burn and taste bitter.  5 minutes with the onion and then add the garlic and saute for another 5 minutes.


Then the rest of the ingredients go in the pot, along with 3 cups of water.


Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.  It is as simple as that.


Most people like to smother their pork with the sauce, but UD and I prefer a lighter amount.  So I put the sauce in a gravy boat and the pulled pork in a separate dish.  We got some incredibly fresh bulky rolls that day and used them to complete the sandwich.  By all means, if you like to smother your pork with the sauce, then just pour the sauce over the pork and mix it all up before you put it on your bun.


I have redeemed myself, thanks to Ina and Joseph!  This is now the official BBQ sauce that will be served in the house that Nellie sold us.


We still have lots left over and it is stored in perfect little jars supplied by J and L.  Now I can't wait to try it on ribs!



A bientot!  See you soon.



 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for persevering, Sister! You went from yuck to yum! That sauce sounds delicious. Also, I wanted to let you know that in July we are going to a pool party and I am making your potato salad! I will be pulling up the ol' blog that day, to follow along with your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful! And the more often you make it, the easier it becomes!

    ReplyDelete