Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chicken Stir Fry

Occasionally and unfortunately UD gets a bout of gout.  It is supposed to be one of the most painful types of arthritis.  It is usually brought on by rich foods, red meats, shellfish, sweets and alcohol.  All the good stuff, nes cafe?  So tonight I had planned on trying a shrimp recipe that I saw on a great blog my sister introduced me to, called One Little Corner of the World.  The recipe for Margarita Grilled Shrimp looks delicious.  However, shellfish is one thing I needed to avoid tonight.  So I went with Chicken Stir Fry.  Always a favorite of ours, and one that won't add any fuel to the fire in UD's ankle.

Two of my favorites veggies for stir fry are onion and pea pods.  Unfortunately the supermarket didn't have pea pods.  Very unusual, but, oil well...  I had looked up veggies that would not be harmful to gout, and two they listed were mushrooms and cauliflower.  So in the basket they go.  And lastly I chose asparagus, because it is still in season and oh so tasty!  It is a lot of white ingredients with the one green of asparagus, but we will make it work.



I like using chicken tenders, but you can certainly use chicken breasts or thighs.


Cut the veggies to approximately the same size size.


Cut the chicken into whatever size you like, bite size or a little bigger.  Then salt and pepper them.


When I have everything ready for the stir fry, I get the rice going in the rice cooker.  I really recommend a rice cooker, because you can start it well before you get dinner going, and it will remain warm until you are ready for it.  And they aren't that expensive anymore.  My sister introduced these to me many years ago.  I know I can make rice without one, but I don't wanna.


I use canola oil for the stir frying and teriyaki sauce for the final ingredient.  This teriyaki I found is terrific.  And it has all natural ingredients.  It is Veri Veri Teriyaki.


Start off by making your pan and oil very hot.  Put one piece of chicken in to start.  If it doesn't sizzle when you drop it in, then the oil and pan aren't hot enough.  Wait a couple of minutes before you add the rest of the chicken.


When the chicken is golden brown on the first side, turn them all over and let the second side get golden also.


Remove from the pan and set aside.


I have decided I like to put the mushrooms in first.  Then they have a chance to get golden brown and delicious.



When the desired goldness is achieved, remove the mushrooms and set aside.


Add a little more canola oil if necessary, and let it heat up again.  Add the remaining veggies.


Stir them around while they are getting tender crisp.


Add the chicken and mushrooms back in.  Then add as much teriyaki sauce as you and your family like.  Remember though, you can always add more, but you can't take any away once you have added it.



Serve it up, and enjoy!





A bientot!  See you soon.


2 comments:

  1. Sister, this looks really delicious. Also, I have been using a stained old piece of paper that has an email from you describing how to make stir-fry, every time I want to make it. Now I can bring this post up and follow along! Thanks for the guided tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just what you mean. I have tons of recipes that are stained and sometimes tough to read! And and a cookbook of Nana's that is written on all over and has pages falling out. It was published in 1942.

    ReplyDelete