Sunday, August 21, 2011

Haddock Chowder

I love chowder.  Clam, lobster, corn or haddock.  I love them all.  I finally happened upon a recipe that uses potatoes, so I was in.  I gave it my own tweaks, and that base is what I use for every chowder I do now.

Here is what you will need for the most delicious haddock chowder!

1.5 pounds fresh haddock
1 onion
3 tablespoon of butter
Extra virgin olive oil
2 Idaho potatoes - I used to use Yukon gold, but recently I was reminded that Idaho potatoes have a lot of starch, which will help to thicken the chowder.
2 cups of whole milk
1 can of evaporated milk
1 to 1.5 cups of water
1-3 tablespoons of fresh parsley - I love parsley, so I tend to go overboard.
Paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper


Heat a large pot over medium heat.  Lightly coat the bottom of the pot with EVOO.  Add a tablespoon of butter.  When the bottom of the pot is nice and hot, add the chopped onions, salt and pepper. Cook until they are tender and translucent.


Dice the potato pretty small.  About 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch.  Add that to the onion, and add salt and pepper again.  Remember, you should season every step of the way.  Then add the cup of water.


The water should cover most of the potato, but not completely.  It should look like the picture below.  If 1 cup wasn't enough, add more, half a cup at a time.  This took 1.5 cups of water.


While the potatoes are cooking, season the haddock with salt and pepper.


Let the potatoes simmer, but taste the potato as it cooks, to check the consistency.  You want it to remain a little firm, because it will continue to cook as you finish the rest of the chowder.


When the potatoes are halfway there, add the milk, evaporated milk, chopped parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. 


Let the chowder heat up, and taste it along the way.  If it needs more salt, add a little at a time.


When it is seasoned just right, and the chowder is nice and warm, add the uncooked haddock.


It will poach to a nice flaky consistency.


Ladle it into your bowl, and sprinkle with paprika.


Add some oyster crackers, and enjoy!



A bientot!  See you soon.


 

2 comments:

  1. That chowder looks delicious and you make it seem easy! I'd like to give this a try this fall. I'd like to try the haddock when T isn't around, and I'll ask you about how to do the corn variation when he is around. I'm interested in how you learn little things like the fact that Idaho potatoes are starchier and therefore better for chowder. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much of the little fun food facts I have are because I am a devoted watcher of the Food Network. I love it. I will be doing the corn chowder soon, because of all the great native corn around.

    ReplyDelete