Tuesday, May 17, 2011

For My Veggie Loving Meat Free Nephew

My nephew T is a veggie loving, meat free type of guy.  His Mom inquired as to whether I would mind posting a vegetarian meal that didn't necessarily include pasta.  I thought a veggie fried rice might fit the bill. 

I am starting with 6 different vegetables.  You can add or subtract anything you want.  I am using scallions, peas, pea pods, broccoli, carrots and asparagus.

                           

You need 3 eggs - 1/2 cup of Oyster Sauce - 2 tablespoons of Tamari or Soy Sauce - Canola, Vegetable or Peanut Oil.  I have a piece of ginger there, but I didn't get to use it.  They say you can store it in the freezer, and it will stay fresher longer.  However, I think this piece must have encountered some water, because it was a little mushy.  But if you have some, grate a couple of teaspoons and add it when the veggies go in. 


Lightly beat the egg.


You also need about 6 cups of cold leftover white rice.  Now here is where I had a problem.  When I cook rice in the rice cooker, I use Jasmine rice and I do a ratio of 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water.  That gets it nice and sticky.  I love it like that when it is just for a side of rice with dinner.  But for fried rice you need it to be dry and sort of crumbly when it is cold.  If I had done a ratio of 1:1, everything would have been fine.  As it was, the flavor was fine, we just didn't love the texture of the rice.  Oil well, c'est la vie!

Cut the vegetables to approximately the same size.  Don't obsess over this, approximately is the key word.


Mix the Oyster Sauce with the Tamari or Soy Sauce.  The only difference between the two, is that Tamari is supposed to be a premium Soy Sauce, so either will do just fine.


Over a medium high heat, pour the eggs into the pan and let it spread out.


You want the egg to be fried rather than scrambled, but you want it to be fairly thin.  Again, no obsessing, it is just eggs.  Remove them from the pan and set aside.


Now here is where Auntie Martha took a little deviation.  Don't look T and Sister E.  Just quickly and calmly move down by 3 pictures.

For UD and I, I am adding shrimp.  I have 20 jumbo, just because that is the size I had in the freezer.  I would recommend smaller, but I will just cut these in half once they are cooked.  I use Hannaford brand frozen shrimp.  They are raw with the shell on.  But they have been deveined, so they are easy to peel.  And I think they have great taste and texture.


Heat a few tablespoons of EVOO and a dab of butter for sweetness.  Add 5 or 6 crushed cloves of garlic.  I remove them once they have infused into the oil, but you can leave them in if you prefer.


Cook them a few minutes on each side and set aside. 


Hi T and Sister E.  Welcome back!

Over high heat, add the broccoli first.  After a minute or two add the rest of the veggies


When the veggies are just starting the soften, add the leftover cold rice and the Oyster/Soy Sauce combo. 


Stir all around until the rice warms up.


Add the egg (and the shrimp if you are using it) and mix it all together.


At this point, you could drizzle a touch of sesame oil over the top.  It's a nice finishing touch.  Bon Appetit!


A bientot!  See you soon.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks delicious! I appreciate the nice clear instructions. Could/should I use extra egg if I'm not going to add shrimp? Maybe I could put in some tofu? Also, I don't have a rice cooker, so I would just be cooking regular old white rice in a pot, and it comes out moist/wet. How should I deal with that? Thank you for this post, NSHHTU! We are having this meal in the HBTOH the week of May 30th, judgement day be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me laugh Sister.

    I love a lot of egg, so you can put as much as you want. I don't know how to cook with tofu, but if you do, it would be a great addition. The regular old rice is perfect. Go a little shy on the recommended amount of liquid, and cook the rice the day before you make the Fried Rice. It should be the perfect consistency. Let me know how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious. I am going to make sure that Mariel reads this, she has been doing a lot of cooking for us since she came. Love having her home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Darling! I bet you love having her home. For soooo many reasons. But cooking for you guys, that is FAN-TAS-MIC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister, guess who just made delicious fried rice thanks to NSHHTU!

    ReplyDelete