Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fiddleheads

I was at the supermarket today, looking for a vegetable to roast tomorrow, to go along with a pot roast I am planning on cooking.  The brussel sprouts and green beans looked terrific.  I couldn't choose between the two, so I decided to bring them both back to the house that Nellie sold us.  While I was bagging them, there was a woman there frantically bagging an odd looking vegetable I had never noticed before.  She appeared a little frazzled and rushed.  I didn't want to add to her stress, but I couldn't help myself.  I asked her what the veggie was that she was bagging, and she said Fiddleheads.


I mentioned that I had been hearing about them, but didn't know anything about them.  All of a sudden, she seemed to calm a little, and it turned out it was because we were talking about her most  beloved vegetable, FIddleheads.  She mentioned they were in the supermarket for a very small window of time, and that she buys pounds and pounds and freezes them.  They are abundant on the Rocky Coast, and a few other areas in the country.  Well I decided to bring home another vegetable.  I asked how she cooked them, and she said to boil them and season with salt, pepper and vinegar.  Hmmm.  The vinegar threw me a little, but what the heck, I bought them anyway, because that's how I roll.

When I got home, I looked them up on the Internet.  They said to clean thoroughly and to continue rinsing until the water ran clear.


Then boil them steadily for 10 minutes.


They also said season with salt, pepper and vinegar or butter.  I went with butter.  I think them came out overcooked and rather bland.  Which can happen when you boil vegetables. 


I had to add more salt than I usually would to other vegetables, and that really told me they were overcooked and the boiling probably ruined them for us.  UD gave them a "Blah", and I gave them a "??". 

I went back to the Internet, and checked about roasting them.  There was a recipe to roast at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.  I will let you know what I think tomorrow!

A bientot!  See you soon.



3 comments:

  1. Sister, I like the way you roll! You tried the fiddleheads despite the talk of vinegar, and when they didn't come out the way you hoped, did you give up? No! You are going to move on to roasting them. Your determination is my inspiration. Thank you. P.S. I have had fiddleheads and liked them but have no idea how they were cooked plus it was many years ago so I barely remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M and D,

    Did you know fiddleheads are ferns. They are the young sprouting ferns that haven't unfolded. Very excited that you and D have become "fiddleheaders". Just one other thing we have in common. Looking forward to future posts on local food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know they were ferns until I started checking how to cook them on the Internet. There is a farmers market starting on the common every Thursday from now through the fall. You just gave me a great idea to stop by each week and pick a new vegetable or fruit to experiment with. Thanks Jay!

    ReplyDelete