Saturday, May 14, 2011

Breakfast Musings


Potato and Egg

UD and I have our usual go-to breakfasts.  Kashi cereal with banana for UD, and an egg white spinach omelet with multi-grain toast for me.  But every now and then you have to kick it up a bit, nes cafe?

I still had some leftover potatoes, which were the roasted potatoes that were reinvented into hash browns.  So I decided to do a classic, potato and egg.  I whisked 6 eggs with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. 


I heated up the potatoes in a little EVOO and butter.  When they were nice and warm, I added the egg mixture.


I stirred these slowly over a medium low heat.


I toasted up my favorite bread, Borealis multi-grain, and sat down to a real comfort food type breakfast.  It is not the prettiest meal, but boy is it tasty. 


------------------------------------------------------

Turkey Bacon with Frozen Multi-grain Waffles.

Today I made turkey bacon with Eggo brand frozen multi-grain waffles.  I always cook bacon on a foil lined cookie sheet.  There is no greasy mess on the stove, and they come out perfect every time.  These were put in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 7 minutes.  I pulled them out and turned them over, and then put them back in for another 7 minutes.  Drain them on paper towels and you are done.


I had never tried the frozen waffles before, but when I was visiting with Sister N one day, she gave the kids Eggo waffles for breakfast.  They smelled good and the kids ate them up.  So while I was in my happy zone shopping one day, I noticed they had a multi-grain version.  That made me feel better about eating them, so I figured why not?  The box said to put them in the oven between 400 and 450 degrees for 5 minutes.   We like them a little crispy, so I did 450 degrees.  When I pulled them out, they still weren't crispy enough for us, so I flipped them over and did another 2.5 minutes.  They were perfect.  And I have to say they really were delicious. 

Oh yeah, I ought to confess.  Years ago, Babs, my mother-in-law, made pancakes for breakfast.  She heated up real maple syrup and added a couple of tablespoons of butter to it.  It was soooo delicious.  So today, as a tribute to her on what would have been her 90th birthday, I took a tip from one of the best cooks I ever knew.  Happy Birthday Gram!


A bientot!  See you soon.


3 comments:

  1. I am loving the potatoes and eggs and I think all of the residents of the House Behind the Other House will like them! Thanks for spending some time on my favorite meal, breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight was leftover night at HBTOH. There were leftovers to feed everyone...except for me. I looked in the fridge and saw two potatoes and thought of this post, so I looked it up and followed along and made myself potatoes and eggs! I added some cheddar cheese because we had some and it seemed like a nice addition. All of the people eating their leftovers were jealous. I did give Taizo a bite. He asked if we could have them tomorrow night. The answer -- no. But soon! Thanks for the crowd-pleaser, NSHHTU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am so happy you liked it, and that T did too. You are too much, my youngest cooking sister! I love it!

    ReplyDelete