Sunday, October 2, 2011

While The Cat's Away - I Cook Pork Chops

UD is still down on the Cape, enjoying this beautiful weather on the golf course.  So I get to choose some of my favorites for dinners this weekend.  We have very similar tastes, but there are a couple of things that I LOVE, and UD just likes.  Like pork chops.  So, guess what's for dinner tonight?

I decided to cook two, so I will have another for tomorrow night.  I am going to sprinkle them with some red chili flakes and smother them in onion.  I will also roast the rest of the pretty rainbow carrots and make a baked potato.


The veggies get the usual treatment, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.


I sprinkled the pork chops with salt and a little red pepper flake, just for an extra kick.


I preheated the oven to 450 degrees.  I think baked potato comes out best at a high temperature.  The outside becomes nice and crisp, and the inside is fluffy and delicious.  The potato gets an hour in the oven.  Halfway into that, I put in the carrots only.  Those roasted for 15 minutes and then I pulled them out.  I turned them on the baking sheet and added some leftover onions I had sliced up.  I will use the onion in something else over the weekend.  Now back in the oven for 15 more minutes.


While those were roasting, I put a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a preheated pan with EVOO and butter.


When the garlic was golden brown, I removed it from the pan, as they had fulfilled their garlic destiny.  I added the pork chops, and cooked them over medium high heat for about 4 minutes.


Then I flipped them over...


...and added some thickly sliced onion halves.  After about 2 minutes, I added about 2 tablespoons of chicken stock.  That helps to pull any browned bits up off the bottom of the pan, which adds tons of flavor to the dish.


The carrots and onion were ready to make their appearance.


The pork chops and onions cooked for about 3 or 4 more minutes, and once they were golden brown and delicious looking, it was dinner time!


I am looking forward to UD returning, but in the meantime, I get to eat pork chops to my hearts content.

A bientot!  See you soon.




2 comments:

  1. That looks like a delicious UD-free dinner, bless his golf-playing heart. I am wondering why you have onions both in the pan and in the oven. Do you have some of both on the pork chops? You make me see that it's very worthwhile to cook for one -- thanks for the post, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny Sister! UD and his golf playing heart is back, and he said he stunk up the course. Poor him. Any who, I only used the onions in the pan on the PCs. The onions that I roasted were used the following day for a frittata for one. Along with the last of the roasted rainbow carrots. I am looking forward to your visit this coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete