Tuesday, February 3, 2015

We moved, and then I made: Sausage, Potatoes, Peppers and Onions


Hi folks!  Bonjour amis!   

Big news!  We have moved from the Rocky Coast of Maine, back to our roots. It happened a year ago, and we have been settling in nicely.  

Funnily enough, our darling friend MS found our house for us.  Not only did she find the house, she also knocked on the owners door and made an offer they couldn't refuse.  So here we are in SC!

I have been wanting to roast some sausages recently, so I took some time during our latest snow storm to look up some recipes.  I decided on a combination of a couple of them.  However, before  I got started, the afore mentioned darling friend and her equally darling daughter came by for a glass of wine.  When I told her what I was doing, she made a fantastic suggestion!  She suggested that I sauté each layer before putting them in the roasting pan.  She has made this several times, being of Italian descent. 

I decided to thickly slice the potatoes rather than dice them up.  I felt like I would like big chunks of all the ingredients.  I didn't get a picture of the sausage being sautéed, but I will say that MS said to prick the sausage so all the juicy delicious fat landed in the sauté pan, rather than on the cutting board when I sliced them up.  So I did that and then I placed the sliced potatoes in the fat. And as always, I seasoned EVERY layer with kosher salt and pepper. 


I flipped them over after about 5 minutes and let the second side brown up as well.




Then I placed the potatoes in the bottom of the pan.




And plopped the sausage on top.


Then I started sautéing the chunks of pepper and onion.  

Side note:  I just remembered that the peppers were supplied by MS.  I'm feeling rather inadequate right now.  Did she make this dish or did I?  First she buys our house for us, and then she is cooking for us.  What a friend!!


I didn't let the veggies get too soft, just a little wilted.


I sprinkled Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle over everything.  Guess who introduced me to Penzeys Spices.  Yup, MS.  If you don't have this, any Italian seasoning will work.


I roasted them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then pulled the pan out and mixed everything up.  I put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes.  It was out of this world delicious!


And below is a glimpse of my very handsome hand model.  


A bientôt!  See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment