Friday, March 9, 2012

Kale Chips


I have been hearing about Kale chips on the Food Network for many a moon now.  The general thought it that it is a nice healthy alternative to potato chips.  What is not to like about that?  Read on.

Start with a bunch of fresh kale.


It needs to be de-stemmed.  Is that a word?


Rinse it well and then dry as thoroughly as possible.  I love salad spinners, and since there are just two of us, I use the smaller version.  It spins out so much water.


Pat it dry with paper towels.


Sprinkle it lightly with extra virgin olive oil and salt.  Place the kale on a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper or foil.  Bake it at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.


In the end, the kale was mostly crispy, a few pieces were less so.  Maybe I had a little too much EVOO.  But it definitely had a nice texture.  My problem was that I didn't really taste much more than EVOO and salt.  Which is quite delicious, but really not what I was going for.  The kale actually had little flavor.  I guess I just rather skip the potato chips!



A bientot!  See you soon.



1 comment:

  1. I have heard of kale chips too, but reading your post was the first time I wanted to actually try them. They look like they must still be very good for you (such a dark green), and I have no problem tasting only olive oil and salt! Thanks for the interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete