Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Jacques Pepin's Potatoes

You gotta love a great French Chef and a quality pepper grinder!  Lucky you, I am here to introduce you to both. 

First, my favorite Christmas present of 2011.  It is the Unicorn Magnum Plus pepper grinder.  That's right, the MP.  I bet you were thinking, it must be the Unicorn Magnum, or even the Unicorn Plus, but no.  I kid you not, I got the Unicorn MAGNUM PLUS.  Thank you again, Sister E!

Side note:  The lovely Sister E has become a bit famous, and I am quite proud.  Please see her featured in the green section of a great blog, called blogher.  Check it out, I think you will enjoy it.  She is under Ellen, and she really is the best neighbor you could ask for.



Okay, on to JP.  I have been hearing about these Jacques Pepin potatoes for years.  And I have always been intrigued.  So finally, here they are.

Let's see what we need.

Small Yukon Gold Potatoes
Chicken broth
Canola Oil
1 tbls. butter, halved
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper from a Unicorn Magnum Plus

For the entire meal, add boneless chicken breasts, onion and salad.

In a non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, place the Yukon golds, seasoned with salt and pepper.  Add chicken broth about half way up the potatoes.


Let it come to a boil.  Please note the fine grind of pepper below.


Then lower heat to medium and cover.  But make sure the cover is slightly ajar.


You can see here that they have come back up to a boil.  Let them go for about 20 minutes.


Once they are fork tender, take them off the heat.


Next, bring in an experienced smasher, with a light touch.  I naturally asked UD to take the helm.  Do not press too hard.  You just want to break the potato, not actually smash it.


Put them back on the medium heat, and let them go, uncovered, until the broth reduces, about 10 minutes.


In the meantime, I have put 2 boneless chicken breasts over medium high heat, with some sliced onions, and of course EVOO.  Cook 4-5 minutes, or until beautifully browned, and slightly caramelized.


Turn over, and place in a preheated 425 degree oven.  Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.


Remove, and let rest for about 10 minutes.  Let's get back to the JP potatoes.


They are simmering away!


Once the liquid has evaporated, it is time to flip-a-rino!


Mmmm, they are looking like my new friend Jacques would want them to.


Once they are all flipped, leave them for 4-5 more minutes.


Done.  Serve them up, and I hope you like them.  I know we did.  They are crispy on the outside, and very creamy and delicious on the inside.




A bientot!  See you soon.



2 comments:

  1. Sister, I am so happy you like the Unicorn MP! I hope you find that it lasts for a long time. Only time will tell. That is a nice fine grind of pepper on those potatoes! The potatoes, as well as the chicken, look very delicious. I love the nice browned look of the potatoes. I tried your fried rice the other night, and it was very good(I wouldn't expect anything less from NSHHTU), and mayhap I will try the potatoes soon as well. Thank you for the blog mention!
    Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. love jp's recipes. i make them and they work! tonight little gold potatoes leftovers(knew you would like that) here's to JacquesPepin..

    ReplyDelete